“This mythology has been accepted by the people living here. Not long ago, one of the student counselors at West Virginia University told me that the most persistent problem she encounters is a lack of self-esteem. Bright, capable, young men and women do not think they belong in college because they are hillbillies.” (O'Brien, 2003).
Reaction:
I was born and raised in southern West Virginia; Beckley to be exact, and I chose this quote because I see peers, and even adults raising children think like this. In the city of Beckley, it is harder to see people like this, but if you drive just twenty minutes down Route 3, it is everywhere. The percentage of students that go on to college after graduating from Woodrow (the biggest high school centered in Beckley) compared to the percentage from Liberty (a smaller school on Route 3) is huge; even the high school dropout rate is much larger. The farther out of the bigger cities you go, the worse it gets. The children in these rural Appalachian towns are raised to go into the coal mines, run farms, start a family at age seventeen, or even draw a check for unemployment, when the majority of these children are highly capable of acquiring a higher education. I completely agree with the fact that we have to love where we are from and hold onto some of the traits, but I hate seeing students who are highly capable of more, settling for less because of the term “hillbilly.”
Reference:
O'Brien, J. (2003, May 10). Tall tells of appalachia.The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/10/opinion/tall-tales-of-appalachia.html
Reference:
O'Brien, J. (2003, May 10). Tall tells of appalachia.The New York Times, Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/10/opinion/tall-tales-of-appalachia.html
Related Resources:
Below, I have listed a link to an article that I found showing that West Virginia has the lowest percentage of college graduates in the nation. The article gives percentages and ratios of people who attend college, graduate college, graduate high school, etc. This just emphasizes the low number of children who don't feel qualified, or even have the drive to go to college.
I am glad you are able to share what you have witnessed as a result of living in the southern part of the state. It puts what we are studying into perspective much better than listening to it in class or reading it on the computer.
ReplyDeleteIt truly is a shame that some people do not set goals for themselves and settle for less than what they deserve and are capable of.
My best friend Krista Taylor is from Beckley as well and has the same exact accent as you. I personally love it! I think the lack of self-esteem is also a huge problem in West Virginias youth. The lack of opportunities can really have an impact on their motivation as well.
ReplyDeleteMy brother's girlfriend is from Mingo County and talks of the exact things you describe in your post. And yes, I believe it is truly a tragedy that so much of our youth grows up feeling inferior. My father is a coal miner and my mother has worked in a glass factory for most of her life. Luckily, I grew up in a family where education was stressed highly. My parents did not want my brothers and I to endure the same hardships they faced. I feel that their love and encouragement gave me the confidence to see that I was capable of anything I desired. Sadly, not all children have the same home environment. Therefore, as teachers, I feel it is our job to help our students see their full potential so they won't settle for less.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to believe the difference from one part of the state to another. I too hate seeing people not try when they are capable of so much more. It is sad to see and I wish I knew what to do. I do feel that certain people have futures in coal mines and what not, but there are more options for people not blessed with that ability
ReplyDelete