Quote:
"For example, the Boston dialect of the Kennedys or the southern dialect of Jimmy Carter are never pointed to as evidence of cognitive and linguistic deficit. But let a poor, urban Appalachian speak for only a few minutes and powerful attitudes of prejudice and assumptions of inferiority are elicited." (Purcell-Gates 133).
Reaction:
This whole article explains my thoughts entirely when it comes to Appalachian dialects. As I stated in my previous blog, I am from southern West Virginia and accents and certain dialects are prevalent down there. When I attended WVU, my freshman year, fifty percent of people I met immediately asked me where I was from due to my southern accent. I've always known I had an accent, however, it never was drawn to my attention until I came farther north in the state. In Beckley, people don't view me as having an accent or different dialect; we view the people from Wyoming, Boone, Mingo, and Logan County as having a different dialect and accent. Therefore, it surprised me to have so many people pick up on my accent.
Also, I hate the immediate assumption of being unintelligent that follows having a different accent/dialect. There are plenty of people I know, highly capable of reading, writing, and having intelligent conversations that have an Appalachian dialect. The only bad trait I have found in the Appalachian dialect is the bad grammar; and you find that with other dialects as well. Therefore, I don't judge people's intelligence from their dialect; I judge their intelligence from the grammar usage. The difference in other people's perspectives between the two is grammar is taught in school so if you come in with less than adequate grammar, that can be fixed. However, if you have a different dialect/accent, you're automatically viewed as unintelligent and never going to learn.
Reference:
Purcell-Gates, V. (2002). "..as soon as she opens her mouth!". In the Skin that We Speak, Retrieved from https://online.fairmontstate.edu/webct/urw/lc15057011.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct
Related Resource:
I found this video on youtube that a college student created for a class about the Appalachian dialect. He explains how stereotypes of the southern Appalachian dialect effected him when he went to college, and even has other students opinions as well.
Found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIJq-T1FbQo
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is upsetting to hear that accents tend to be tied to intelligence. With as many accents, I wonder what all intelligences are assigned to each...If that makes sense
ReplyDeleteI agree that the bad grammar makes me cringe a little bit, but I have nothing against the accent itself. It must be interesting and frustrating to live with the accent you have. I used to have a Southern Bayou accent, but I can't remember how people treated me in WV for having it.
ReplyDelete