Friday, September 2, 2011

Double Entry Journal #4

Quote: 
"An important aspect of the teachers' participation in the household research became the more sophisticated understanding they developed about the children and their experiences. There is much teachers do not know about their students or families that could be immediately helpful in the classroom..."
Reaction:
Stereotypes and biases are everywhere in our society. As teachers, we're going to have our own biases and also see them in our fellow teachers, as well as our students. I'm the type of person that feels everyone deserves a chance regardless of where they come from. I've known people brought up in wonderful homes that are lazy, or what teacher's consider the bad students, and I've also seen people who have been through struggle after struggle, and I would've never guessed it until they told me. Everyone comes from a different family and has a different background. Most people love to talk about where they come from. Having a good personal relationship with people is number one in my opinion. Any time I feel someone wants to get to know me and actually cares enough to listen to me, it makes me feel so good. As teachers, that's how we need to make our students feel. Connecting on a personal level is key to success in my eyes.
Reference:
Moll, L., Amanti, C., Neff, D., & Gonzalez, N. (1992, Spring). Fund of knowledge for teaching: using a qualitative approach to connect homes and classrooms. Theory into Practice31(2), Retrieved from https://online.fairmontstate.edu/webct/urw/lc15057011.tp0/cobaltMainFrame.dowebct
Resource:
I found this article that talks about getting to know your students on a personal level. It really goes along with what I was saying in my reaction to the quote.
Click Here to view the article, "Getting to know your students."

No comments:

Post a Comment