3 Things I Learned:
1. "The teaching of excellence in writing means adding language to what already exists, not subtracting. The goal is to make more relationships available, not fewer."
1. "The teaching of excellence in writing means adding language to what already exists, not subtracting. The goal is to make more relationships available, not fewer."
2. "Writing instruction must accommodate the explosion in technology from the world around us."
3. "Early teaching in composition should also attend to helping children get used to producing language orally, through telling stories, explaining how things work, predicting what will happen, and guessing about why things and people are the way they are."
2 Things I Found Interesting:
1. "Writers start in different places. It makes a difference what kind of language a writer spoke while growing up, and what kinds of language they are being asked to take on later in their experience."
2. "Many teachers and students do not, however, have adequate access to computing, recording, and video equipment to take advantage of the most up-to-date technologies."
1 Question I Have:
Since I'm going into math, I know writing should be incorporated into all subject areas. However, math is hard to incorporate writing into; especially writing that has a lot of the student's personality and thought put into it. Therefore, what are some ways to incorporate writing into mathematics?
Reference:
NCTE, (2004, November). Ncte beliefs about the teaching of writing. Retrieved from http://www.ncte.org/positions/statements/writingbeliefs
Resource:
I found this article about 30 ideas for teaching writing. I just thought it gave future and current teachers some different ideas. Click here to view the article.
Here is a link to integrating writing into math the more creative ideas are near the bottom of the page.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.glencoe.com/sec/teachingtoday/subject/int_writing_math.phtml