Sunday, September 11, 2011

Double Entry Journal #6

Throughout the past three years at Fairmont State, I haven't had the chance to experience many culturally responsive activities. The one that stands out most to me is the one we just completed in this class; the digital story. I loved making my video and loved watching everyone else's. It's really nice to get a look at other people's backgrounds that way.
Aside from culturally responsive activities, when I was at WVU, my freshman year, I had many professors that weren't originally from the U.S. At times, this was a huge disadvantage because some were hard to understand, but at the same time, we talked a lot about their culture, as well as some of our own. WVU definitely had way more culture diversity than I've experienced here at Fairmont State.
Reference:
Gay, G. (2002, April). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching.Journal of Teacher Education53(2), 106-116. Retrieved from http://www.sagepub.com/eis/Gay.pdf
University, B. (2006). Principles for culturally responsive teaching. Retrieved from http://www.alliance.brown.edu/tdl/tl-strategies/crt-principles.shtml
Resource:
I found this article about preparing for culturally responsive teaching. As all of us in this class are going to be teachers, I found it interesting.
Click here to view the article. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent article! Gwen and I get a lot of our ideas about culturally responsive teaching from Geneva Gay!

    I like that you see value in having teachers from other cultures!

    ReplyDelete